History of Crimea
Thanks to its location and generous nature the territory of Crimea always attracted many different tribes and nationalities. There were permanent settlements of Kemi-Obinskaya cuture already in the III century BC. And in the writings of ancient authors Crimea and Cimmerians that had lived there those times have been mentioned already from the 12 century BC.
Tribes of Tauri have given the peninsula its first ancient name – Taurica, Tauris, Taurida, - which is being used until these days. No doubts, the powerful incentive to a cultural development of this land has been given by Greek colonists who began inhabitants on the coastal territories from the 6th century BC during the times of Scythians rule in the steppe regions. Ancient Hellenes has brought shipbuilding and wine-growing, they have built churches and theatres. The cities being built by them, such as Panticapaeum (Kerch nowadays), Feodosiya and Chersonese (Sevastopol nowadays), are still significant historical, cultural and territorial monuments.
The uniqueness of Crimea is also confirmed by the fact that this land has always been the arena of interests of the surrounding empires. So, the lands of the peninsula were a part of the Byzantine Empire, the Golden Horde, the Ottoman Empire (Crimean khanate), and after the Russian-Turkish war in 1768-1774 it has become a part of Russia. A trip to Crimea by Catherine II has turned the southern coast into a favorite place of vacations for Russian nobility in Yalta. The “summer houses”, being built by them, – the Livadia Palace, the Massandra Palace, the Vorontsov’s Palace – continue to surprise visitors by their graceful architecture and luxury many centuries later. Then two new cities have been established – Sevastopol and Simferopol which are important places in the life of the peninsula today.
In 1954 the last territorial donation of the Crimean Peninsula happened: the Soviet Union has given it to be a part of the Ukrainian SSR. And in 1991 after the USSR broke up Crimea was left as a part of independent Ukraine as an autonomous republic.
All this time the peninsula was being developed actively as a resort, wine-making, and of course navy center. These three directions are higher-priority in the development of the region today.
History of Katsiveli begins in the 4th century BC when this land was populated by Tauri tribes. Also Romans and Byzantines lived there at that territory then.
But the most rapid development Katsiveli had in the 19th century as a scientific center where in 1929 under the leadership of V.Shuliekin the Black Sea Hydrophysical Station was built, and in 1949 the Moscow Hydrophysical Institute was established. Hydrodynamics of dolphins was being studied here, and a sea wave was being modeled. In 1966 the Crimean Astrophysical Observatory with a big telescope was opened in Katsiveli.
Lately the settlement is being actively developed as a resort. The infrastructure is being improved that attract more and more visitors from all countries each year to have a rest in Crimea, and particularly in Katsiveli.
In 2012 Alexandria Hotel was built in Katsiveli – a hotel in Yalta being designed in the best European traditions opening up completely new prospects in the Black Sea service.